2006 Academic Improvement Awards
The 2006 Academic Improvement Awards honor 1031 schools for substantial gains in performance over the last several years. The awards range across all levels from schools where 31% of the students are meeting the Illinois Learning Standards to schools where 98% are meeting standards. The median state test score for these schools was 71%, which is above the state average.
Located throughout the state, the award winners represent every type of school — large and small; elementary, middle, and high schools; both regular and charter schools; all funding levels; urban, suburban, and rural; and low performing and high performing. They demonstrate that exemplary progress is possible at every level and can be sustained.
See Billman, Mission Possible, for Illinois principals' stories on how they lead dramatic gains in academic performance.
FACTS ABOUT 2006 ACADEMIC IMPROVEMENT AWARDS
Total Number by Year
In 2006 = 1031
In 2005 = 306
In 2004 = 150
In 2003 = 100
State and Federal Status
The vast majority of the Academic Improvement Award schools made Adequate Yearly Progress in 2006. Only 222 of 1031 schools (22%) failed to make AYP.
- Academic Early Warning Status 125
- Academic Watch Status 240
- Restructuring & Restructuring Implementation 139
Low-Income Enrollment ("Low-income" is designated by eligibility for free or reduced lunch.)
- Between 0 and 100% of students in the 1031 schools are eligible for free or reduced-priced lunch.
- 515 schools enroll more than 50% low-income students.
- 270 schools enroll 25-50% low-income students.
- 246 schools enroll 0-25% low-income students.
Geographic Distribution of 1031 Academic Improvement Awards
Schools that continue to make substantial improvements in performance year after year deserve a special round of applause. In 2006, 3 schools earned a third Academic Improvement Award, and 142 schools earned a second award.
Academic Improvement Awards in 2004, 2005, and 2006
|Fort Bowman Academy||Cahokia|
|John Jay Elementary||Mt. Prospect|
- 145 schools earned both Spotlight Schools and Academic Improvement Awards.
Districts with 4 or More Improvement Awards in 2006