Selection Criteria for 2006 Awards
All Spotlight Schools meet the following criteria:
- At least 50% of students in the schools are reported as being from low-income families in 2006.
- At least 47.5% of students met or exceeded standards in reading and mathematics in 2006, using the formula for calculating AYP.
- At least 50% of students met or exceeded standards in both reading and mathematics in two previous years (2005 and 2004).
- Made Adequate Yearly Progress in the two previous years as required by No Child Left Behind, which in 2006 meant the following:
- At least 47.5% meeting and exceeding standards in both reading and mathematics
- 95% participation rate in state assessments for all students and each subgroup
- Attendance rate of at least 89% for elementary and middle schools and graduation rate of at least 69% for high schools