Selection Criteria for 2007 Awards
All Spotlight Schools meet the following criteria:
- At least 50% of students in the schools are reported as being from low-income families in 2007.
- At least 55% of students met or exceeded standards in reading and mathematics in 2007, using the formula for calculating AYP.
- At least 50% of students met or exceeded standards in both reading and mathematics in two previous years (2006 and 2005).
- Made Adequate Yearly Progress in the two previous years as required by No Child Left Behind, which in 2007 meant the following:
- At least 55% meeting and exceeding standards in both reading and mathematics
- 95% participation rate in state assessments for all students and each subgroup
- Attendance rate of at least 90% for elementary and middle schools and graduation rate of at least 72% for high schools